Monday, June 16, 2008

What every good marketer knows

People, how would you define a good marketer? Someone who's good? Someone who can make you buy things that you don't even need in the first place?

Whatever your definitions are, let's see if I'm one! ;P

According to Seth Godin (one of my favourite author) , every good marketer knows:
  1. Anticipated, personal and relevant advertising always does better than unsolicited junk. ( I'm totally with you, Seth. It's all about the personal touch. )
  2. Making promises and keeping them is a great way to build a brand. ( Yup, I know this one! That's why I'm doing it now. I promise them a whole lot of career information and they are getting it by reading GRADAsia! sorry, self brand promo )
  3. Your best customers are worth far more than your average customers. ( Well, it's not easy to get your best customers. If you ever get them, keep them! )
  4. Marketing begins before the product is created. (Hmm...tricky)
  5. People are selfish, lazy and uninformed and impatient. Start with that and you'll be pleasantly surprised by what you find. (oh yeah. Definitely.)
  6. People don't buy what they need. They buy what they want! (I don't need to know this cause I fall into this category!=( )
  7. Good marketers tell a story. (I love stories! Yes, I do share stories all the time till people have to shut me up sometimes)
  8. A product for everyone rarely reaches much of anyone. (That's why I'm championing a product which is very much niche that reaches to everyone)
  9. You can't fool all the people, not even most of time. And people, once unfooled,talk about experience. (We can't fool all but we can fool some right? ;P)
  10. Living and breathing an authentic story is the best way to survive in a conversation-rich world. (uh huh)
  11. Advertising is just a symptom, a tactic. Marketing is far more than that. (Noted. Advertising is part of marketing huh.)
  12. Marketing is not an emergency. It's planned, thoughtful exercise that started a long time ago and doesn't end until you're done. (oh, no 911?)
  13. You market when you hire and when you fire. You market when you call tech support and you market every time you send a memo. ( cool.)
  14. Most marketers create good enough and then quits. Greatest beats good enough every time.
  15. Blogging makes you a better marketer because it teaches you humility in you writing. ( That's why I started a blog! ;P )
Well, I guess I'm a good marketer now since I know all of the above. (:

3 comments:

Jules said...

for point no. 8, I beg to differ.

Products like consumer goods reaches everyone.. like CHEWING GUMS! All you need is to be sweet and tasty! and widely distributed in big retail areas!

hahaha well, marketing is way too complex to just say point no 8 la...

just wanna buat bising

becks said...

well, it's good. At least you were paying attention of what I've wrote!ahaha. Anyways, talking about chewing gums, i personally don't think it's a product for everyone. It's targeted to only people like you! Ah peks, ah ma-s are not their target. Besides, consumer goods are segmented specifically.

But then again...marketing is subjective depending on how you define it in the first place.(:

Jules said...

well.. you're damn right my ah ma didnt chew gums haha.. but she certainly did know what it was and where to get it! :P

And her grandson certainly did found out where to buy gums when she brought him to the sundry shop down the road.. heehe