Monday, June 30, 2008

What's your Market Value-Time Ratio?


Do you want MORE? More out of everything- More out of your life, your career and even your bank account? ( I'm sure most of you would be nodding your head, agreeing with the last one. I wouldn't mind having MORE in my bank account though ;P ) Ironically, the more you realise something significantly and subtly 'more' is required of those who are succeed notably in life!
" Time is Money"- the famous dictum and that's what most successful corporate person would tell/ brainwash you. However, this is an observation during the 18th century by Benjamin Franklin, one of the most influential American founding fathers.

The issue of time management just struck me as I've been EXTREMELY busy, fully occupied with overflowing workload and several questions posted in an article by Rajen Devadason on pragmatic time management had me thinking for a bit. Did I mismanaged my time? Somehow, if you learn how to manage your time better than everyone else around you, the chances are you'll be on your way to your personal advancement. Your superiors will recognise the exceptional catch that you are and increase your pay. On the other hand, competitors will hear through professional grapevine that you are something preeminent and make an attractive bid for your services. It's a win-win situation either way.

Have you ever thought what are you worth in the job market? The recent CNBC article by CNBC executive producer Alex Crippen, entitled Warren Buffett's performance/Pay Ratio Gets Even Bigger pointed out that the world's most famous investor was astoundingly underpaid as the CEO of Berkshire Hathaway. Can you believe this? Berkshire has the highest share price amongst all listed companies around the world! A share of Berkshire is more than US$130,000. I repeat, one share = US$ 130,000! ( gosh, not even in RM ). If he's underpaid, I guess I'm under, under below underpaid? ( Let's just hope my bosses don't read this) :P

According to Rajen, if we are paid money for the work we do and if time is indeed equivalent to money, then it makes sense for us to focus on enhancing our personal productivity. He believes that each of us should ratchet up our personal market value to time expended ratio. The market value-time ratio signifies how effective we have been in accumulating to create value.

His article got me thinking about the effectiveness if each of us raises our personal value, market value-time ratio in our job to what we're paid. Anyway, the focus should also be on raising personal capacity to make improvement toward your financial goals. This could be done by steadily raising your ability to get more done in less time! Frankly, I'm personally struggling with that.

If you're with me, here are two steps according to Brian Tracy on achieving the end.

1. Start immediately on Priority number ONE.
Stop indulging in procrastinating low value activities. This also contributes to the way you behave when you begin work. Prioritize and start doing! ( My bosses never seize to remind us to prioritize and dive straight into things so we can help them make most money over the long haul )

2. Create set time periods
Reserving your highest energy time slot for the high value activities such as calling clients.


I'm going to try to elevate my market value-time ratio ( RM, per unit time ( usually per hour) ) to increase effectiveness, to set stage to manage my cash flows patterns and saving habits. So, what about you?




( Acknowledgment: "What's your Market Value Time-Ratio" by Rajen Devadason )

No comments: